OPEC Awards 2018
OPEC has always recognized the important role played by scholars and journalists in increasing public awareness of the Organization’s work and emphasizing the petroleum industry’s essential contributions to the global economy.
In support of this, OPEC will once again honour individuals who have made outstanding professional contributions in these areas with the 2018 OPEC Award for Research and the OPEC Award for Journalism. The Awards will be presented by the President of the OPEC Conference at a gala event during this year’s OPEC International Seminar.
Instituted in 2004, the OPEC Award for Research is given to committed scholars who have contributed to an increased understanding of the determinants of oil market stability, and who have exhibited a critical, yet impartial, view of oil-related issues. Previous recipients include Professor Robert Mabro (2004), Oxford University fellow and former Director of the Oxford Institute for Energy Studies; Peter Odell (2006), formerly of Erasmus University in Rotterdam; Paul Stevens (2009), the University of Dundee; Oystein Noreng (2012), the BI Norwegian Business School; and Dr. Vaclav Smil (2015), Distinguished Professor Emeritus at the University of Manitoba in Canada.
The OPEC Award for Journalism is given to experienced print or broadcast journalists who engage in objective and balanced reporting of the oil market and related issues. Past recipients of the award are Dr. Walid Khadduri (2009), former Executive Editor and Editor-in-Chief of the Middle East Economic Survey; Bloomberg News’ OPEC correspondents (2012); and Ms. Margaret McQuaile (2015), a long-time reporter for Platts news service.
Furthermore, this year there will be five additional OPEC Awards:
- Technology Innovation: The OPEC Award for Technology Innovation recognizes efforts on technological innovations and successful applications in the petroleum industry. The innovation must be geared towards improvements in the areas such as quality, costs, work processes, etc. In this regard, it honours individuals and/or organizations who have made outstanding contributions in the field of technology innovations.
- Industry Leadership: The OPEC Award for Industry Leadership recognizes outstanding leadership by an executive in the oil and gas industry. In this regard, the OPEC Award for Industry Leadership honours executives of national, international petroleum companies or relevant international organizations, who have shown continuous outstanding leadership with proven expertise to explore new opportunities and ensure competitive advantage.
- Lifetime Achievement: The OPEC Award for Lifetime Achievement recognizes distinguished efforts in the petroleum industry. In this regard, it honours individuals with outstanding contributions and high achievements in the industry over many years.
- Viennese Energy Scholar: The OPEC Award for Viennese Energy Scholar recognizes academic achievements in energy research conducted in Viennese research institutions. In this regard, it honours individuals or institutions that have made outstanding contributions to knowledge of the energy industry and energy-related issues.
- Young Energy Economist: The OPEC Award for Young Energy Economist recognizes achievements in the area of energy economics for young professionals (up to 35 years of age). In this regard, it honours young industry professionals and/or researchers who have made outstanding contributions to knowledge of the petroleum industry and oil-related issues.